The thermostat is essentially the central processing unit for the entire HVAC system you have installed in your home. If there are any problems with the thermostat, you will likely face multiple heating and cooling system issues.
It might surprise you to learn that the thermostat can face various issues that can lead to a malfunctioning heating and cooling system. When you encounter problems with the thermostat, it’s ideal that you call in experts who are well versed in cooling and heating repairs in Morrisville, NC, to fix it before it creates more problems for you.
We’ve highlighted some of the main issues that can lead to a faulty thermostat. It can help you understand why it’s crucial to call in the professionals to take care of it.
Signs that a Thermostat Is Bad
Sometimes it is not easy to point out whether your HVAC unit is not working correctly or if it is only an issue with your thermostat. Here are some of the signs that can help you tell if your thermostat is faulty and needs repairs:
- The display is off or non-responsive.
- You’re facing trouble maintaining the ideal temperatures in your home.
- Turning on the heat or the AC does nothing.
- The heating or AC turns on but keeps turning off before reaching the right temperature, or stays on despite the right temperature being met.
In general, a faulty thermostat means you cannot get the desired temperature settings in your home.
Problems Caused by a Bad Thermostat
If your thermostat is not operating properly, it can lead to a few more problems to make things worse for you. Depending on how bad the condition is, a faulty thermostat can:
- Lead to uncomfortable temperatures in your home.
- Put too much stress on the HVAC system by keeping it on or constantly turning on and off.
- It can generate a higher energy bill by consuming more electricity.
- Too much strain on your HVAC system because of a faulty thermostat can cause unnecessary wear and tear.
Replacement Options You Can Consider
Having a malfunctioning thermostat doesn’t necessarily mean you need to buy a new one to replace it. However, there can be advantages of replacing the old thermostat with a brand new system. The latest models can provide you with more cost-efficiency and better features to maintain ideal temperatures in your home.
You should call in experts to take a better look at the unit. If they think fixing it is the best way to go, you can have them repair it. Suppose you have an old thermostat with an outdated design. In that case, we recommend replacing it with a programmable Smart Thermostat that can connect with your Wi-Fi and allow you to control the temperature settings in your home through your smartphone.
Consult With a Professional
Before you decide how to address the faulty thermostat, we recommend consulting with a professional technician. They can guide you to the best possible solution. They can fix the existing model for you without too much cost, or they can match you with the ideal unit model to make your HVAC work efficiently.