Radiant heating systems have been around a long time, and thanks to advancements in products and technology, there are a few ways in which you can install radiant heat into your home. Radiant heating installation in Raleigh, NC is complicated; in order to ensure that your system has been properly installed, it’s best to hire trained professionals, like the ones at Ideal Services Heating & Cooling.
What Is Radiant Heating?
In radiant heating systems, heat is applied directly to floors or wall panels, and the heat radiates from these surfaces to warm your home. Typically the tubing for radiant systems is hidden from view, so the tubing resides underneath flooring or against the inside of the walls. There are 4 main types of radiant heating:
- Radiant panels – radiant panels are used for walls and ceilings, and are typically made of aluminum. Radiant panels can heat with electricity or tubing that can carry hot water. Radiant panels have a very quick response time but a lower heat capacity.
- Electric radiant floors – electric radiant flooring uses wiring that, when electrified, produces heat. These types of installations can be laid in wet cement to form a radiant slab, or installed directly onto subflooring.
- Hydronic radiant floors – with hydronic flooring, water is heated by a boiler and then pumped through tubing that is in a serpentine pattern under your flooring.
Advantages of Radiant Heating Systems
- Comfortable heating – the heating in a radiant system is gradual, making it very comfortable. Some people prefer this to forced hot air.
- Great for allergy sufferers – with a forced-air system, dust, dirt and other particulates are blown around your home with each heating cycle. Radiant heating is a closed system, so there is no swirling dust to contend with.
- Virtually noiseless – compared to forced-air systems, radiant systems are very quiet, especially the ones that use electricity.
There are many heating choices available to homeowners these days. Choosing the right system is critical to your comfort, so it’s important to understand how each system operates and what each can offer you and your home. If radiant heating seems like a good fit for your home, call Ideal Services Heating & Cooling and schedule an appointment for heating installation in Raleigh, NC today.